10 WARNING SIGNS OF CANCER IN YOUR PETS (from the American Veterinary Medical Association):
If you notice any of these in your pet, consult your veterinarian:
- Abnormal swellings that persist or continue to grow. Pet your dog or cat; this is the best way to detect any lumps or swelling.
- Sores that do not heal. This could be a sign of cancer or infection.
- Weight loss. If your pet isn’t on a diet, then weight loss could signify your pet is sick.
- Loss of appetite. Not wanting to eat could be a sign of possible illness.
- Bleeding or discharge from any body opening. Bleeding can indicate a problem. Unexplained diarrhea or vomiting could also be a sign of illness.
- Offensive odor from mouth, nose or other parts of the body. Bad odors could be signs of tumors of the mouth, nose or anus.
- Difficulty eating/swallowing. This could indicate a sign of cancer of the mouth or neck.
- Loss of stamina/ hesitation to exercise. This is an early sign that a pet may be sick.
- Persistent lameness/stiffness. This could be caused by many reasons and could also indicate nerve, muscle or bone cancer.
- Difficulty breathing, urinating, or defecating. If your pet shows these signs, it should be checked by your veterinarian right away.
The warning signs of cancer in people are similar to those listed above. Read more.